Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cardinals/49ers Game Opinions

Been a while since I posted, but did want to comment on the last 2 preseason games (I'll save my JaMarcus opinion for my next post). Other than the eventual outcome (I basically consider the 49ers game a "win" based on the stats and the non-call on the pass interference in the end zone), both games had striking similarities:

1. The starting offensive line play was excellent. No sacks given up, and minimal penalties. They also opened a ton of running lanes for whichever back was blasting through them.

2. QB play was decent, but not great. Someone is seriously going to have to step up in the Rams game to make a statement for the upcoming season.

3. Offensive playcalling was fresh and well-suited to our personnel. As a college football fan, I've seen a ton of U$C games in the past few years. Those short patterns where the QB gets the ball and throws it to our receiver (who basically just turns in place), allowing the WR to run with it is right out of U$C's playbook Short, controlled patterns in a west coastish system allow for few mistakes and force the defense to play in very tight. Was very impressed with a few of those drives in the 49ers game... long, controlled efforts.

4. Receivers were dropping balls left and right. I sense the end for Whitted in this offense. Even though he was interfered with at the end of the 9ers game, the ball still hit him square in the hands. My guess on the receiving corps is as follows: Porter, Curry, Gabriel, Williams, Higgins, Madsen (if you don't qualify him as a TE). I'm satisfied with that group.

I liked how Kiffen treated these games truly as preseason contests (basically glorified scrimmages). Putting Fredrickson in at the end of the 49ers game instead of an iced Jano showed that he wasn't in the game to win, but to see how the position battles worked out. I only wished Echemandu got a few more carries last Saturday. Hopefully we'll see more of him on Friday.

So far, so good. I think we'll surprise a lot of people on offense this year.

No comments: